Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Art Jewellery Boot Camp

The second Boot Camp is all about texturing metal using things that you find around the house.  To be honest I nearly gave Boot Camp a miss this time.  Ordinarily, I go to a metal-working studio - the studio is very well equipped so I haven't needed to get many tools at home.  However, I've torn all the ligaments in my ankle (ouch!) and driving (and walking!) are pretty much out at the moment.  I haven't made it to the studio for a while - I'm missing it!!  When Boot Camp came around, I thought how can I do a metal-working challenge without all the tools I normally use?  But I'd had a lot of fun with the last Boot Camp and didn't want to miss out - so I decided that not only would I use household materials to texture metal, I would see what tools and materials I could find in my house too. 

I dug around in my household tool box and pulled out the heavy-duty hammer and a couple of copper washers.  Now to find something to texture with.  The answer came as I was mulling over a work problem in front of the laptop.  I always fiddle with things when I do this and this time I picked up a paper clip.  Eureka moment!  I hammered the paper clip in a random pattern onto the washers.  I cheated slightly on my self-imposed challenge of using only things I could find in the house and bought some Liver of Sulphur online to emphasise the paper clip texture.  I do all my resin work at home so I had those supplies.  I filled the centre of the washers with tissue paper and resin.  This added some colour but because it is tissue paper it remains somewhat translucent and the light still shines through.  Finally, I made some very basic ear wires and called them done. 


The paper clip held up surprisingly well to being battered with a hammer - though its days of clipping paper are definitely over!  I'd pulled out several clips expecting to have to use a few to get the job done.  But I used the same clip for both washers. 

So there you have it - a very simple design but the best I could do in the circumstances.  I suspect I'm going to be embarrassed by its simplicity when I see the intricate work that others have done!  Please take a look at what everyone has been working on.  I'm pleased with what I could achieve using things from around my house - but I'm still going to be scurrying back to the metal-working tools at the earliest opportunity!

22 comments:

  1. I am loving how so many of you did found sort of textures. I learned a lot this time around myself.

    Your earrings are divine. Love the resin and soft paper against the metal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learned a lot too. Nothing is safe in my house anymore - I'm eyeing everything up as a potential texture tool!!

      Delete
  2. Ah, the lowly paperclip...what a great inspiration! Love the resin work with the textured washers.
    A wonderful boot camp!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. Agreed, it has been a really great challenge.

      Delete
  3. What would we do without paperclips? I like the translucent centers, what a neat idea! You are so resourceful ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never look at a paper clip the same way again! Thanks for such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  4. Those are great! I'm happy that you were able to participate.... I have to get more organized myself for the next boot camp! I made things, but never did a blog post :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I'd love to see what you made - it has been a really fun challenge.

      Delete
  5. I gotta go find some paper clips now!! Great job with the texture and the resin with paper is intriguing...will have to try that!! Beautiful!! And hope that ankle feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thanks so much! I'm a bit obsessed with the resin/paper combo at the moment - lots of possibilities....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! What a lovely comment - it has definitely made me smile.

      Delete
  8. I love these!!!!!!!!!! Glad I wasn't the only one destroying stuff ;) loved this boot camp. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli - I loved this challenge too!! It definitely made me think and try new things.

      Delete
  9. I hope that you are feeling better (ouch!). I loved the story behind how you made the best out of the situation and pulled out some awesome pieces for this project. I love the idea of the paperclip and using other things we already have around the house! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha, glad you like the earrings. It was a goood lesson for me - you don't need a lot of purpose-built tools to still be creative.

      Delete
  10. wow, awesome earrings! here in Italy we don't have anything like boot camp... too bad!
    are you exited for next saturday?! I really am!!
    hugs, have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - boot camp is open to everyone, you can definitely do it from Italy. I'll email you with the details.
      I'm definitely excited for our bead soup reveal on Saturday - can't wait to see what you have made!

      Delete